Migraines affect millions of people in the world and although we think that it is a simple headache, it can incapacitate us in our most daily activities.
What are migraines?
Migraine is an intense pain that presses our brain and can make us dizzy or dizzy. Other symptoms that may accompany this pain are nausea, vomiting or sensitivity to light and sound.
This headache has no cure, but it can be relieved with a healthy and balanced diet that helps alleviate the symptoms.
Why do we suffer from migraines?
We can suffer migraines due to various factors such as abstinence from caffeine , changes in hormone levels during the menstrual cycle or the use of contraceptive pills; changes in sleep patterns, stress and anxiety. In addition, it can be hereditary and affects women more often than men.
What foods are good for migraines? And harmful?
Today there are many medicines and remedies that can control their effects and help us improve our quality of life in case of suffering this alteration. However, a good diet is key to not having to medicate and to be free of worries about migraines.
There are foods that can cause headaches :
- Caffeine , depending on the dose and the frequency with which we consume it, can be positive or negative for migraines. Coffee in small quantities can prevent headache because it has analgesic effects.
- Products with monosodium glutamate (MSG) appear in a variety of processed products such as frozen foods, preserves, soups, snacks, dressings, seasonings, sauces, etc.
- Biogenic amines are compounds synthesized from the decarboxylation of free amino acids. This group includes histamine, tyramine and phenylethylamine. They appear naturally in food, but can also be produced by bacteria as a result of fermentation processes.
- Tyramine: found in chocolate , dairy and alcohol
- Histamine: some fish, cheeses, processed meats, fruits (such as strawberries , citrus fruits, figs or avocados , tomatoes, onions, fermented foods and alcoholic beverages (red wine)
- Phenylethylamine: found in foods of animal origin, wine and chocolate (cocoa)
- Nitrates , which are found in meats such as bacon, sausage or sausage.
- Starch mixtures are difficult to digest, which can lead to uncomfortable headaches. This substance is found in bread, pastries, pasta, rice or potatoes.
- Alcohol contains tyramine that can cause migraines, dizziness and disorientation.
- Bananas and citrus fruits, since they are composed of tyramine and histamine that are the main cause of headache.
- Nuts , unless these foods are full of properties are not suitable when we suffer from headaches, because they contain a substance called sulphite, which enhances the pains and discomforts.
Foods that help us avoid headaches :
- Vitamin B2: all foods containing this vitamin reduce headaches ( sardines , lentils, salmon, sea bass or mushrooms).
- Vitamin B6: necessary to increase serotonin, which prevents the onset of pain. We can find it in cod, tuna , trout, baked potatoes (with skin), broccoli, asparagus , turnips, whole grains, sunflower seeds or bran.
- Magnesium: if we have a deficit of this substance, we are more likely to have physical pain and, above all, a headache when we are stressed. Magnesium is found in beer yeast, sunflower seeds, walnuts, brown rice, dried chestnuts … We can also find magnesium capsules as supplements.
- Do not drink alcohol, it is the main cause of migraines.
- Controls the level of caffeine. Coffee in large quantities can cause headache.
- Include in your meals fish that contain vitamin B2 and B6 or brown rice since it contains magnesium.
- It is advisable, along with a good diet, to perform some type of exercise and reduce stress with relaxation.